The Interim Tariff covers photocopying that is done for use in compilations such as the coursepacks your institution produces for a course. When an institution compiles and/or sells photocopied material as a coursepack, recordkeeping of the bibliographic information is required. Royalties are calculated on a per page basis.
You are not required to report bibliographic information for works in the public domain, where the material was created by the professor and the professor retains copyright or where permission has been obtained from another source (e.g. directly from the publisher). Please note that the Interim Tariff includes copying done in support of educational purposes only. You are not permitted to make coursepacks for use by or sale to another educational institution. For more information, please consult with your institution's administration.
What you can copy
The Repertoire Look-Up Tool is a tool designed to let you know whether a particular publication is in Access Copyright's repertoire.
For coursepack photocopying under the Interim Tariff, no copying can exceed 20% of a published work or the following, whichever is greater:
- An entire newspaper article or a page
- An entire single short story, play, poem, essay or article from a book or periodical issue (including a set of conference proceedings) containing other works
- An entire entry from an encyclopedia, dictionary, annotated bibliography or similar reference work
- An entire reproduction of an artistic work (including drawing, sculpture, painting, prints, architectural works of art or works of artistic craftsmanship) from a book or periodical issue containing other works
Works NOT covered by the Interim Tariff
- Publications containing a notice expressly prohibiting copying under licence from a reproduction rights organization
- Sheet Music
- Works published by Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada or any province or territory, other than the Province of Quebec, and works published by foreign governments, other than Australia and Norway
To find out more about copying under the Interim Tariff, please contact Access Copyright at 416-868-1620 (toll-free 1-800-893-5777) or email us.